Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Breyer Eye Whites - fasinating!

I am so excited!! I just received my new treasure! It is of course the book written by a wonderful life long Breyer Collector, the late Marney J. Walerius. And though Marney passed away some time ago, her wonderful collection of details and information about the early Breyer model production lives on. Thank you Marney!

This wonderful book is called: "Breyer Models - Reference and Insurance Guide". It is a rather small book when compared to the other guides being only 107 pages long. However, there is a great deal of detail and information within it's pages. Also very few pictures in comparison to the other guides and most of the ones that are presented are in black and white.

It will be a wonderful resource for me to gruel over in the evenings through out the coming winter. And as I find information that may be helpful, I'll be sure to pass it on to you.

The first bit of information I found was on the eye whites that were painted on the early models, namely from the 1950's through the 1960's. According to Marney, in the late 1960's quotas were raised per painter and the time to paint the eye whites was eliminated.

Then new limited runs were done or began in 1984 with the Just About Horses first release as the American Saddlebred Weanling. She also mentions the 1990 BreyerFest model Dr. Peaches. However the one detail that caught my attention is this:

Quote: "One fun variation occurred when some painters would paint the back of the eye white and in the same hand turn the model over and in error put the eye white in the front of the eye".

She does not state when exactly this occurred or on which models or the years, those details are a bit skechy. However, we can say for sure that this would be a variation of a model and may be a bit difficult to find.
So for myself, I know that I will pay close attention to ALL models from 1950 through the 1990's just to be on the safe side that I don't miss out on a rare one!

If anyone has a picture that they can share, or knows a bit more about the details of the eye whites; I'd love to hear from you!

Until next time, enjoy your collection and keep imagining!

2 comments:

DrSteggy said...

I just got my first model with eyewhites--a bay stretch Morgan. I've never seen one as Marney describes though.

Another tidbit--Marney's book was the FIRST book on Breyers. She died shortly after it was published :(

Bonnie said...

Thanks for the insight DrSteggy! Marney's passing is a huge loss to the collecting community. Imagine the questions she could have answered for all of us!!